Well, I still not use the Ubuntu Phone as my main phone. I have sent several SMSs and somewhat more e-mails from this device and I use it as a camera and as a feed reader.
The main part of the time that I spend with the device is testing what it can do and how comfortably.
Below are my observations and notes:
- RSS Reader – Shorts – is great. There are some minor things that can be better, but nothing important. Searchning could be nice and more configuration options, too (to set default view at startup, for example).
- Notetaking app – Reminders (now renamed to Notes) – is near as good. Better cut and paste functionality could be nice, and some export options can help, too. I often need to select a part of note (a text or an image) and paste it to other application (an email client, for example).
- E-mail client – Dekko – is OK but I have problems with default view. It simply shows nothing and I have to find the ‘inbox’ folder… maybe it’s my misunderstanding of something? The Gmail webapp is nice but it doesn’t work off-line. But when it works then it is better than the Dekko. The only caveat is that the e-mails are too wide and I have to rotate phone to landscape in order to read them easily.
- Documents viewer – works well but only on a limited number of file formats: no DJVU, no office formats.
Contacts – there is probably no way how to sory contacts. Sorting by first name seems to be suboptimal.. Also the Dekko doesn’t user data from the Contactd, unfortunately.
The environment itself is relatively stable but there are issues:
- after switching from the Airplane mode it is sometimes impossible to enter PIN
- in some cases the applications are mysteriously closed – it looks like out-of-memory cases but there is no warning or explanation
- it is better to restart the phone every day to prevent dome of the abovementioned problems.
And at the end there is my wishlist:
- Easy CalDav/CartDav synchronization
- Pebble Smartwatch support
- Off-line navigation (partially solved by presence of the OSMScout)
- Real text editor in GUI (with syntax highlighting)
- Tool for (at least) viewing of office files
That’s all for the moment…